Thursday 14 November 2013

Sensing danger

Ever felt like something was going to happen?
A sense of foreboding: hanging heavy around your heart?
Ever known that something was coming: but didn't know what?
I've felt that sense of danger: felt that tightening of my skin
Wondering what was happening: knowing something was coming!
Before our home was flooded: months before anything was shown
I had that sense of foreboding: knew something was up: but not what!
I was cleaning up my home for some unknown reason: couldn't tell you
But that feeling was there all along: bugging me: really very strong!
So I went about trying to make some sense: anything to grab a hold of
Anything to let me know: but nothing ever told me: no inkling in my brain
I didn't know how much rain was coming: no not one bit
That's right: I was simply ignorant: unknowing in my pain
Until that very day when we left our home to go to Adelaide
Michael's appointment took us away from home that day!
When warning phone calls came: we were with Shelley
She: it was who begged us to stay the night: claiming loneliness
Thus we stayed in Adelaide that fateful night!
We heard of terrible storms in our region
Heard of those creeks flooding over: heard of a massive rain storm
Then I prayed for our two little dogs: not caring of our things
They could be replaced: but precious lives could not!
Thus it was with trepidation that we travelled home
The very next afternoon: hoping that all was well
Never knowing as we travelled of our new very messy hell
We were diverted through Murray Bridge: 
Told to go over to the other side of the River Murray
As the roads were totally washed out this side of Mannum
Reedy creek was a huge muddy mess: no traffic going through
Too much water had travelled along her length: what a mess!
As we left Mannum behind: looking out of those windows
We were totally amazed at the destruction we espied
Mud covered the road sides: huge trees brought down
Water damage everywhere we looked: our minds could not comprehend
They were just finishing some cleaning up: huge machinery called in
Mud was scraped off that dirty highway: tons of silted mess
We were finally allowed to travel on: praying for my little dogs lives
The nearer we got towards our home: the more damage we saw
Finally as we turned into our own driveway: there we were amazed
The sand was washed away from along our road
There were great piles of rubble, stones, bushes, posts
We couldn't believe our eyes: could only slowly comprehend the mess
I opened up our house then: felt the squelching mess of mud
Our carpets ruined, muddy brown: smelling of the wet
Everything was wet & covered in mud; though only a few inches deep
I was crying out on pain & anguish: begging it not to be true
But the further I went: the more I cried: could not stop my mouth
I thank God Amy & Kia were alive; terrified & traumatised as they were
So happy to see us come down that drive!
So glad to see us alive: as we were of them!
The whole house was a terrible mess: nothing was spared
I opened up the front door: could not believe my eyes

A huge gaping hole was where the foot path should have been
Water filled the cellar to the roof: nothing was water proof
Oh Lord what a mess: but really: what could we have done?
We would have been in that house: trying to save everything
Useless work it would have been: probably dangerous as well
I thank God Amy & Kia were okay: nothing else truly mattered
But still it was really hard to reconcile ourselves to that mess
I guess it really goes to show: though we lost a lot of stuff
We were alive: we were all safe! Nothing else would make sense!



No comments:

Post a Comment