Sunday 11 November 2012

Angaston Creek (30/4/12)



I don’t know why I’ve stopped here today
I do not know what draws me down this little path
It’s like I want to find some peace before the storm
It’s like I feel the need to sit and think a while
I feel so alive amid the greenery
It calls my restless feet
The brambles catch at my jeans and try to hold me back
Their leaves; like those of a rose bush; the only colour is my blood
I came seeking some wild mint leaves to take back home
There are none here today; they’re all gone!
I see the make-shift bamboo bridges
Someone has made; to span the tiny creek
They show where some one else’s feet have trod
Then, the tangled leafy green vines; try to trip my feet
The uneven ground has made me trip enough
I’m not as agile as I once was
Memories come flooding back!
When the five of us clambered along these trails
The scenery is different
Storms have wrought so much change!
Broken trees; branches litter the ground in the mud
Yet still nature steals it all back
Bringing life and peace in its wake!
Though the peace is quiet and sure
Other sounds break into this little haven
I hear men’s voices; echoing down from the road
I hear the beeping of large machinery
There are large rocks and many tons of sand
Holding back the wildness of the plants!
As I retrace my steps and rise again
I hear children’s voices in the park
Laughter and joy are peaceful too!
Glad cries of precious little voices fill my heart
Mother’s voices calling: “Stay close to me!”
As they watch them climb the colourful jungle gym
A few birds peeping; their gentle sounds
A beautiful wanderer butterfly
Passing over my head as I look at the azure sky
Then the sounds of traffic passing by
Some louder; deliberate; roaring motors too!
All invade my peaceful place!
As I emerge and walk on up
The grey footpaths amid the green
Grassy slopes so neat and clean
A cannon; from a distant war
Sits so straight-laced; like a dinosaur
Then I see that the wagon’s gone
From underneath the sheltered roof
The wishing well waits patiently
A Willy Wagtail and sparrows cheep
I see a couple walking; hand-in-hand
Heels clacking on the pavement
Another couple softly tread across the lawns
Drinks and a blanket in their hands
The Magpies serenade us all
More birds sing as quietness reigns
In between the traffic’s strains
Then I watch the majestic pines soaring so high into the sky
Sparsely leaved with their sticky spines
A pepper tree across the creek
Reminds me of primary school days
The Jacaranda’s green leaved boughs
The Moreton Bay Fig’s a-shine
A pigeon coos
Bees return to their hive inside this tree
So many knobbly branches twisting round!
Day-Off Peter stands so still beside his trusty horse
A couple of workers having lunch beside their Ute
An ambulance comes screaming by; lights flashing; in a rush!
Big kids climbing the jungle-gym (20’s)
Riding the see-saw horses too
So good to see young people so full of life!

Thus; all around this peaceful sanctuary
Life goes on as usual
Hard and fast-paced; like a race
Everyone going somewhere!




No comments:

Post a Comment