Monday 12 November 2012

Childhood Loneliness

Childhood; thy name is loneliness
I got to know you/me very well
I played with you/me in days of old
You were my shadow!
You took my hand and led me
You ever were my friend
You were mine and then I left you
To find another to keep me company
I’m sorry that I left you there
Along that deeply rutted road
The miry way my little legs had trod
Together we climbed that old almond tree!
We played in and loved those swaying limbs
The leaves they waved and caressed
They were my friends and touched and soothed
They greeted me with summer days
Together we did spend in imagined bliss
Alone and yet not so; we laughed!
My precious youth with you
Together we’d while away the hours of sunshine
Summer holidays were best!
We swam and frisked in great Murray’s water
Or Lake Bonney’s swimming pool
Though we grew cold we would not leave
Our lips turned blue with cold
Yet still we stayed!
No amount of teeth-chattering would convince us
To give up our stronghold!




No comments:

Post a Comment