Monday 12 November 2012

Terror in the night (From 1976)

Writing my story the other night
Brought back memories of one cold lonely night!

Wandering the city alone and so cold
Streets deserted and empty; the wind with a bite!
With nowhere for me to go; I met a man and his mate
The car was a deep lovely green; a Jag; If ever one I’ve seen 
Made for driving in grand state!
I was alone as usual; that always seemed to be my case
No friends to call on; no-one to be my mate!
Searching for friendship and love: anything! All right!
I was offered a lift home at the end of the cold lonely night!
My fruitless craving got the better of me then
As I accepted the lift and left with the two of them!
I was crammed in the middle; two large men
One on either side; asking me questions about
My family and friends; and if I had them?
I didn’t think twice in my naïve state!
Surely such questions were a bit nosy but why note?
I answered as honestly as I’d been taught!
Thinking that nothing was amiss!
After all; I was just accepting a lift!
The interest was there; so arrangements were made
To see him again the very next Friday night!
When I got home and thought more on it
I was wondering; “Why me?” and if they were legit?
Was the offer to set me up in a beautiful new flat?
All expenses paid; really worth the hype?
I went about my days at Uni all that week
Without giving it another thought!
When Friday night came around: I was ready to handle it!
But then as I waited: sheer terror it did hit!
My skin was crawling; my hands wet with sweat!
Something was wrong; no doubting it!
What was coming? Why such a fright?
It was like the devil was stalking me that night!
In a terrible panic; I regretted my “Aye”
Running outside; I just wanted to hide!
The house that we rented; was one cut in half
No phone to help; no-one to call anyway!
The loo was outside; behind a mass of creeping vines
In terror there I stood; hidden from all sight!
Then as I waited; I heard a car pulling up
I heard the footsteps; as the two of them entered
By that squeaky old gate!
My heart was thudding; my breathing shallow!
As I trembled and prayed for escape that night!
Hoping and trying; my breath to even out!
I heard them calling; as I huddled there in fright!
I’d left the outside light on; their shadows were huge!
And I heard their voices rising; as they uttered and swore!
Their anger alight!
My cold shivering body; was taut with fright!
As I waited and waited; it seemed to take so long!
Then finally, annoyed and upset; they left as they had come!
The car was started; the screeching tyres so loud!
I felt so relieved; but still I waited and waited
To make sure that they were gone!
My hands were still shaking; my heart thumping loud!
As I tried to unlock that door; to enter the house!
As I stood there; thoughts racing!
My heart finally slowed; the chair carried my load!
What had just happened? What made me react?
Those questions; no answers!
My mind could not those provide!
I packed and left so quickly; should they return?
I was out of there to safety; my bridges burned!















1 comment:

  1. Gut feelings! Go with them! They are usually right!
    We go about our lives thinking all will be okay, but we do need to rely on our instincts as well! Back in those days in Adelaide, young women were going missing: never to be seen again! Thank God I listened to my gut feelings and hid from sight!

    ReplyDelete