Monday 17 August 2015

Break and enter

They chose to break and enter
Decided to steal our things...
Had nothing better to do I guess
So they got up to mischief: nothing less
My diary says it was on the 15th January of 1980
We were working in Kingston-on-Murray
Helping mum and dad with the apricot season
Ian and Kathy called us up to tell us the news...
She stole all my satin Disco flares: after trying them on
Left some that she split at the seams...lying on the floor
All my dresses were taken...must have liked my style
But honey what were you guys thinking?
When you took our photo albums...
Of what use were they to you?
It took a while for me to realise...
Listing everything for the insurance company
But while the other things were replaceable
The photos were something precious to me...
I remembered that long dress I liked to wear
The records we had listened to...
All these things were now gone
But still we were outraged to say the least
Somebody had walked inside...
Sifted through all our private things...
Grabbed as many as they could...
Tossed our other things aside...
Like they were useless it's true...
The policeman who came to lift the fingerprints
Was a guy I knew from high school...
I used to have a crush on him
Used to think that he was cool

Months later my Uncle and Aunt came to call
It was already May by then...
A large parcel wrapped within a towel
They were grinning from ear to ear
I said "What have we got here?"
Inside were our photo albums
Photos still inside...some removed I saw
Maybe they were going to reuse them
Putting their own photos inside?
But the difficulty stopped them in their tracks
For the sticky glues that held them in...
Those old photo albums: sticky on the photo's backs
Returned to us by chance...
I had a few newspaper clippings in the back
Of friend's weddings and the such...
Names and country towns mentioned there...

Found at the huge rubbish tip in the city
The rubbish man looked inside to see...
Why someone would toss them out...
Took them to the police station...
Maybe stolen property...
My Uncle worked on the local council
He received them and took a look
Recognised our faces and the pics
Brought them back home to me...

Photos of Kerry Bahnisch's wedding 
Were the key that solved it all
Albums taken to Barmera Police station
To Bahnisch's place...then to my Uncle's home
Then right back to me and Tim...
A miracle in the making...

No comments:

Post a Comment