Monday 20 January 2014

After the bushfire

Just left Sedan heading for the Barossa Valley
I've only gone 10 km and already I am devastated
No longer the scenic route: all is denuded
Not a blade of grass to be seen
Trees fallen from the flames: no greenery
The smell of destruction fills my nostrils
Blackness everywhere!
The car before me slows
We cannot but look around: totally amazed
Everything is razed!
Fences buckled: destroyed!
I can only imagine the fate of all the animals
Wildlife that before: here teemed!
Where is the hawk that hovered?
Where is the eagle that soared?
Where are the roos and bunnies by the score?
The devastation is mind-blowing!
The power of the fire and wind: astounding!
Such a deadly combination for all life forms!
All I see now is scorched earth: everywhere I look!
Jagged rocks protruding from this beaten earth!
The further I drive: more smells assail me
Now I sense and feel the crying of the earth
For many animals have perished
The scent of burnt flesh: singed fur: pervades all!

Piles of ashes greet my eyes
I am still: immobilised: terrorised!
My mind just cannot comprehend
How much it all has changed!
A patchwork: seen from above
Like a giant chessboard
More black than ivory!
Scant pastures here and there
The miracle of this devastation: a few birds
Searching for some greenery
Fly on dear creatures of the Lord
For here there is no food
Amid the dark and drab scenery!

My tears begin to spill
Cannot be denied!
Too much destruction
Too much pain: visible still!

No comments:

Post a Comment