Friday 17 January 2014

Bushfire afternoon 17/1/14

Another terrible fire storm; this time closer to home
So many fires raging: everywhere! Smoke billowing
Darkness came early to our little piece of South Australia
The warnings kept on coming: beware of fire near Eden Valley
Emergency: keep an eye on the smoke: listen to ABC radio
Be prepared to either take flight or fight it out!
More warnings to come: warning of the fire heading towards Cambrai
Also maybe heading up the road to our little old home in Sedan
We packed our bags ready to leave if we must: just in case!
Then just stared & watched from afar; when we could
See through the smoke & dust: the sun was hidden behind
The darkening clouds that billowed & spiralled up into the hot air

I'd taken Santiago to the Cambrai swimming pool to cool off
Watching the smoke upon the horizon: judging the distance
All seemed normal just for a little while as we jumped in
More people came: told to congregate there until advised otherwise
Police, Fire engines & ambulance gathered up the main street
Lights flashing in rhythm with my heart beat: getting a little scared
But I was never truly terrified nor worried for I knew that my Lord
Was watching over me & my dear little family: angels at hand
Encamped around us in their mighty band: just as promised!

We were told to leave the pool after a short while: the wind had changed
Now it was heading in our direction: heading towards sleepy little Sedan!

Back at home we watched the skies darken into almost black
Barely any visibility to seen or had as it worsened: looked really bad
Sometimes I could just make out a bit of sun: glowing a dark fiery red
Tiny glimpses of this red ember: flashing through now & then like a warning!

I prayed to my dearest Lord in heaven up above: for protection
I asked for my dearest guardian angels to encamp around our precious home
To keep us safe from harm as the winds began to blow once more
I asked my dearest angels to change the direction of the wind
To make it all blow away from us: to make it encircle us: safe in the centre
Like a peaceful eye in centre of the storm: an oasis of peace & calmness!

As we watched the wind changing direction; the smoke dissipated
We could see the hills once more and even more: we could see
The terrifying deep red flames leaping long the ridge to the north
Oh how I prayed for the safety of everyone up there in the way
Of the terrible destruction heading their way: what more can I say
We held hands &prayed for people's safety as those blazes raged
Monstrously red in the naturally darkening skies above our home

More warnings were to come: still time to evacuate from Sedan
Still time to leave from Angaston but neither from Keyneton nor Cambrai
There you must fight now to survive: fires raging on many fronts
I was ready to stay: no warnings in my mind to send us away
But my dear daughter was so terrified; my son too; had to leave
Packed & ready to leave within minutes; power gone; no electricity
Since around 7 pm when the lights flickered & died; candle power
That's all there was to see by; we sat outside to watch closely
Ready to leave in an instant: ready to flee the terrible scene!



No comments:

Post a Comment