Monday 13 January 2014

The gift of pants

When I was just a young girl
I gave a simple little gift
It was such an easy gift to give
It was no problem to decide it!
A family friend came visiting
Brought his little son to meet us
Poor little boy: wet his pants
Had no clean ones: so I gave
A pair of frilly pants: from my doll
I guess she didn't really need them!
Every time our friend came again
He thanked me over & over
I was happy to give that little gift
I enjoyed that giving very much
Copying my dearest daddy
He was always giving: to everyone
I loved my darling dad: emulated him
One day; many years later 
I was given a gift in return
Our friend had gone to Coober Pedy
Had some luck with the opals
He gave me a special gift then
In thanks for my kindness to his little son
A shiny triple opal: his gesture to me
For that little I'd given him
So many years before!


No comments:

Post a Comment