Tuesday 21 January 2014

Jealous child

I was a lonely child: a jealous child
Wanted & needed a friend: at any cost
Felt so lonely growing up: alone & lost
Paid the penalty: suffered at my cost
So dearly wanted to be accepted: yes I did
So dearly wanted to be included in the group
So clearly yearned to be a part of that soup
I had a friend in Susie in Adelaide but of course
She had lots of friends in her neighbourhood
Why should she be mine exclusively when I came to stay
She was living there: so far away: had her own life but 
Still I was jealous of her closest friends: who to blame?
I was just a little child: maybe ten years old
Restless, searching for something I cannot even tell
Well Susie had Monica from just up the road
They went to school together: visited each other
Went everywhere together; best friends of course
I was just an interloper trying to fit in: no recourse
The country mouse so lacking in everything
No idea of city life: no idea about dance lessons
So untutored in anything they understood: I was lost
So of course I felt left out: at a loss: my jealousy raged
I wanted Susie for myself when I was there
Didn't want Monica to come around but that's too bad
I just had to lump it or leave it & fit in as I could!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment