Friday 31 January 2014

Memories of Torrens Road

I've driven up Torrens Road hundreds of times
Looking around to see if I could find that place
Where my Auntie's friends lived years ago
Jolie Neni was a hairdresser: permed my hair
When I was just in my first year of high school
I still remember going there with mum & dad: Alec too
Climbing up those stairs to their rumpus room
It used to be so magical to me: imagining
That I was a princess: living up there in a tower
Maybe being Rapunzel or some other princess
In another fantastic fairy tale: yes my imagination
Used to run so wild: just like that of any child!
I remember playing with Mickey their young son
Many years later they had another child: a little girl
Rebecca I think her name was: so long ago to me
Just the other day I thought I saw that house
It looked so familiar to me: in my memories I see it
Banana palm outside at the front: beautiful stones
A part of the front brick wall: hairdresser shop there
Underneath it all: as I recall that's where I got 
My very first perm: after auntie Roza cut my hair! 
Another thing that just came back to me: a visit
To Jolie Neni's parents place for a couple of days
During the school holidays: Gyulai's place was close by
Just up the road on the right: after a petrol station
Just after the next traffic lights: had a few days holiday
We had lots of home made noodles with different stuff
They cooked it with eggs: with jam (my favourite)
With potatoes too! Just like my mum used to do!
Wow those wonderful memories come back to me
I am right there beside that house: it's like a dream!


No comments:

Post a Comment